Most of our trips are open to the public–but LIST members get first crack if tickets are limited.
Also, members will be able to purchase tickets at a reduced price.
In the past, the Chapter has sponsored rail trips around Long Island and elsewhere in the Metropolitan New York area. Some of the most famous trips have been those to the Long Island Rail Road facilities, dinner trips to Montauk and Greenport, and off-island trips on LIRR trains or Metro-North to such distant points such as Danbury, Norwalk and Waterbury Connecticut and to Grand Central Terminal, Poughkeepsie and Harmon Yards in New York. Photo run-bys take place and food service is usually arranged.
None scheduled at this present time
Past Chapter Railfan Trips
- Danbury CT RR Museum and SONO Tower in S. Norwalk, CT
- The Chapter sponsored an all-rail trip to the Danbury CT RR Museum and SONO Tower in S. Norwalk, CT on Sat. June 9, 2012. Elliot Courtney did a fine job in organizing this wonderful trip for the 20 members who participated. The trip was very successful despite the occasional light rain.
- LIRR Morris Park Shops and Hillside Facility Nov 2011
- NJ TRANSIT MMC Shops Kearny NJ – May 21, 2011
- PATH Shop Tour at Harrison NJ – Oct. 30 2010
- MTA Coney Island Yard Tour – June 2010
- We took a tour of the MTA Coney Island Subway Yards in Brooklyn in June 2010. We toured the shop buildings and the main control tower and we were able to take an up close look at the vintage equipment stored outside near the tower.
- SIRT FANTRIP held Sat. June 28, 2008
- Staten Island Rapid Transit – Staten Island Railway – Now retired ALCO S-1’s (including ex-LIRR #407)
- Consist: R-44s pulled by SIRT ALCO S-1’s 821 and 407 plus two hacks. The round trip excursion ran from St. George Terminal to Tottenville, Staten Island. A tour of the former B&O Clifton Yard Shops was included. Two SIRT cabooses were used for the trip back to the terminal.
- Click here for: SIRT: Staten Island Rapid Transit photos and information at NYC Subway.org
- This is a great website for SIRT photos and description of the entire system.
- NY & ATLANTIC-BAY RIDGE BRANCH EXCURSION
- On Saturday, June 2, 2007, the chapter sponsored an excursion on the N.Y. & Atlantic Railway from the wye at
- Fresh Pond Yard in Glendale, Queens. The train then made its way down the Bay Ridge Branch and stopped at the
- East NY tunnel for photos. The train then continued to the Linden Blvd. overpass for a photo runby. Afterwards, the excursion continued to the 65th St Yard in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn where riders detrained and photographed the still unused float bridges and the train. The riders then enjoyed a great prepared deli lunch as the train began it’s journey back to Glendale. Once everyone detrained, the riders took many photos of the rolling stock and motive power in the yard as well as other NYA crews drilling the yard at Pond.
- The Chapter members wish to thank the NY& A, Mark Westerfield, and his crew for their gracious hospitality.
- Farewell to the LIRR M-1’s
On Nov. 4th, 2006, the chapter sponsored the “Farewell to the LIRR M-1’s” excursion from Jamaica station.
This rail trip was a final salute to the M-1 electric MU’s and covered a portion of the Main Line, as well as the Far Rockaway, Long Beach, and Port Washington branches. The train stopped at Penn Station to allow riders to take a lunch break. the train then continued to the West Side Yard where riders detrained and photographed the yard and equipment. The excursion also ran out to Garden City and up to Clinton Av.
- More LIRR video can be found here: YouTube Video- LIRR Farewell to the M-1’s